Moving in the Right Direction


It’s been a crazy three-week period since I last posted. When I left you I was getting ready to clean house for the appraisal which was scheduled for Monday, May 27 – Memorial Day. Well, that is what I did all day Sunday, May 26 – clean. And, that is what Bill did out in the pole barn. Late Sunday evening we got a call from Centralized Showing Service that the appraiser didn’t realize that Monday was Memorial Day and he wanted to reschedule the appraisal for the same time on Tuesday. I was so frustrated. I could not control that situation or any other for that matter. ๐Ÿ˜ก

I’m not going to go into details of everything that has happened in the last three weeks. It’s just too much and I would never be able to get it all posted. But, here are some bullet points of the ups, downs, excitement, depression, anxiety, and fear that we experienced through it all.

  • Tuesday, May 28: Service Plus replaced a breaker in the electrical box at the same time the appraiser arrived and was taking pictures. Dark rooms.
  • Appraiser walked out to pole barn; saw Bill and asked him how big the pole barn was and started walking away without ever looking inside. Bill told him he needed to see all the improvements he had made before he left. ๐Ÿ™„
  • Wednesday, May 29: First moving company (Leaders Moving and Storage) came to give us an estimate for moving all our stuff and putting it in storage for at least 1-1/2 months.
  • Weds.: We loaded the small trailer with items that the moving company wouldn’t take without being totally drained – basically, it was much of our shed stuff. And, the bed of the truck was filled with light fixtures, ceiling fans, and door hardware.
  • Thursday, May 30: Second moving company (Greenwood Moving & Storage) came to give us an estimate. One hour after taking down all the info and giving us the estimate at our dining room table, Bill ended up escorting the guy to the door after he tried to strong-arm us to make a decision on the spot. He was so rude and obnoxious, too! Plus, he didn’t help his cause by being twice the price as Leaders.
  • Thursday: It was the day for the Inspection and we were supposed to be gone for 3 hours. So after Obnoxious Guy left, we got in Bill’s truck, put Goldie in the back and drove down to J&J’s to drop off the small trailer and unload the truck bed in one of their garage bays they were lending us for storage.
  • On the return trip from Jill & Jim’s we got a call from CSS for a radon inspection the next morning.
  • Friday, May 31: Bryan flew in from Virginia for a long weekend to help us pack up the pole barn. Jill and Jim came up in the evening with Jim’s parents’ Expedition and their large trailer.
  • Saturday, June 1: All of us packed stuff for hours and hours until . . .
  • Saturday afternoon: Our realtor called and said the appraiser had just called him and said our house would not appraise for the full asking price. In fact, he said he wasn’t sure if he could even appraise it for $50K less than asking price! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • Saturday late afternoon: After several calls back and forth with our realtor Bill fell into a depression and said he didn’t want to pack anymore. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ We sent Jill and Jim on their way back home with our lawn mower and John Deere Gator on the back of the trailer and the Expedition full of 4 suitcases of clothes, files I would need down at their home, and several bins of other items we didn’t want to go into storage. We sent Bryan off in one of our cars to one of his friends to attend a Pacer’s game. I decided I was not going to be depressed and prayed for an answer.

Here are some pictures of our weekend of packing:

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

  • Saturday evening: Jill called and said they had some bad news. They lost the hood of the Gator somewhere on I69. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ However, she said the Gator had a new home in their garage.
Hoodless Gator

Hoodless Gator

The Gator's new home

The Gator’s new home

  • Before leaving our house on Saturday Jack asked Megan if she wanted to drive the Gator once they got home. Megan said she was going to put the “pedal to the metal!” ๐Ÿ˜‰ Jack ended up being the first to drive it up their driveway. He told me he wasn’t allowed to drive it fast.
  • Sunday, June 2: Bill, Bryan and I spent the day packing and inventorying items in the pole barn. We had already confirmed that Leaders Moving and Storage would come Weds., June 5, to pack the rest of the house and they would start moving us on Thursday, June 6.
  • Sunday: We got the inspection report. The house was in great shape. Only two minor things reported. The inspector had told the buyer that he had never seen a house so well maintained in plumbing and electrical work. Way to go, Billy Boy!
  • Sunday late afternoon: Our realtor emailed that the buyer’s realtor had done her own analysis on our home and her own comps. She said she was remorse that she had not done it before advising her clients to offer a full asking price for our home. But, with the bidding war going on, they knew time was short. Long story short, she came up with a price that was $30K less than full listing price. Since the appraisal had still not come in we didn’t know what was going to happen with this sale. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
  • Sunday evening: I sent out a prayer request to everyone I knew to pray that the appraisal would come back with a price that we could live with. We never expected to sell the house full listing price, let alone appraise for that much either. Several realtors made the comment that the comps didn’t support the listing price and since the appraiser and buyer’s agent made their cases to refute the price, we didn’t know what the outcome would be. And, we had the impression that the buyers would not pay out-of-pocket over what the agent suggested. So we waited and waited to hear about the appraisal. Bill and I had our bottom line price. We weren’t being greedy. We just knew what the house appraised for in 2011 and we had added $25K in improvements since then. We wanted to recoup some of that $25K.
  • Monday, June 3: Bryan continued to help Bill pack up the pole barn. They got it all packed up. I drove Bryan to the airport that afternoon for his return home. He was tired. He had worked so hard. Thank you, Bryan! Plus, he was a joy to have around with his usual jokes to liven the mood. Jokes like, “I’m going to take a picture of this box and I bet it won’t be opened up 5 years from now!”
  • Tuesday, June 4: Our realtor emailed us that he still had not heard about the appraisal and he didn’t see how this deal would close. He thought we should put our house back as active and start showing it again! Nooooooooooooooo! I told Bill we had gone too far in moving and that if we were going to put the house back on the active market, it could be shown after we moved out and the house would be empty! But, I didn’t want to make the house active again. We would have to make arrangements to have someone cut the grass and weed the landscaping. We would have to keep the electric on. We would have to make another house payment. I think Bill and I both reached a low point that day.
  • Tuesday: Bill and I agreed that if the house went back active we wanted to pay for another appraisal ourselves. And, we wanted the listing price to be change. We were not going to go through this again.
  • Wednesday, June 5: The movers arrived to start packing what was left in the house – pictures, kitchen stuff, linen closet and dismantled the other two beds.
  • Wednesday late morning: The appraisal came in $3 less than our bottom line price. Bill and I talked. Since the buyers were willing to pay full price surely they had the funds to pay their own closing cost since the house was now costing them $25K less than they offered. We decided if they agreed to pay their own closing cost ($3K), that would give us the bottom line price we wanted. Buyers and Sellers signed an amended purchase agreement.
  • Wednesday afternoon: We waited for the appraisal to go through underwriting. Our realtor thought we’d hear later that day. And, if everything was okayed by underwriting, the lender said we could still close on Friday, June 7!
  • Wednesday evening: Our realtor called and said everything was a go with closing on Friday!
  • HallelujahThursday, June 6: The movers arrive in 5 trucks with 9 guys. Great bunch of guys. They worked so hard and long and even though they had quoted us to also move us on Friday, they worked late and got it all done Thursday night. Bonus! That way we didn’t have to have someone at the house watching Goldie and the movers while we were at the closing on Friday. The movers earned a nice tip for getting done early. ๐Ÿ™‚

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

  • This is how we spent the remaining days until we moved out on Sunday, June 9, and headed down to Jill and Jim’s for our next adventure.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Next up: Our new life living with Jill, Jim and the grandkids. And, the building begins!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s